GIULIANI

Friday, August 17, 2007

Guiliani Caught Blatantly

Lying On How Much Time He

Spent In The Ruins Of World

Trade Centre

600 Visits? More Like 60


Rudy Guiliani (second from right) knew he had to protect his lungs from the toxic dust at Ground Zero. This is rare photo of Guiliani in a mask. He usually removed it for interviews and photographs.

Following up our recent report on wannabe Republican president, and former New York City Mayor, Rudy Guiliani’s absurd claim that he was just like all those first responders and rescue workers, who clocked up many hundreds of hours in the toxic pit of 9/11’s Ground Zero, a story in the New York Times reveals just how much time Guiliani actually spent on site.

The number of visits Guiliani made to Ground Zero between September 11 and December, 2001, is one-tenth of the number of visits he’s previously claimed to have made.

Considering, also, that when Guiliani did visit the smoking ruins of the World Trade Centre he spent no more than 15 to 30 minutes at a time there, only increases the suspicion that Guiliani knew exactly how toxic the air was at the site, as did clearly the staff and security detail of the luminaries and world leaders he took there for tours.

Guiliani knew he had to keep his visits to Ground Zero, and the time he was exposed to the toxic air, to an absolute minimum.

Incredibly, Guiliani, who is now trying to base an entire run at the White House on his record as a 9/11 hero, has spent more accumulative hours giving lectures and speeches about the time he spent at Ground Zero (for which he has collected millions of dollars in fees), than the total amount of hours he spent at the site itself.

Remember, Guiliani boasted last week that :

“I was at Ground Zero as often, if not more, than most of the workers. I was there working with them…I’m one of them.

Really. “…as often, if not more” than rescue and cleanup workers who logged 600, 700 or 800 hours on site, over three to four months.

That’s a mighty claim. Guiliani tried to tamp down the explosion of controversy generated by such a ridiculous claim the next day, but he didn’t retract his words.

So how many hours then was Guiliani at Ground Zero?

The New York Times claims that an “exhaustively detailed account” from Guiiani’s own archives shows that between September 17 and December 16, 2001, ‘America’s Mayor’ was at Ground Zero for a grand total of….29 hours.

29 hours, broken up through 41 separate visits. The 41 visits included inspections lasting as few as 13 minutes and also visits to areas near the wreckage pile for meetings before going on the site.

The majority of the visits, according to the New York Times were “to give tours to other officials and foreign dignitaries”.

29 hours.

Here, again, is the quote from Guiliani that has infuriated New York City firemen, police and rescue workers, and the families of those who have already died from the deadly dust and fumes they inhaled in the process of clocking up hundreds of hours on the site :

“I was at ground zero as often, if not more, than most of the workers…I was there working with them.

But Guiliani went further than that back in September, 2006, when he first started feeling the heat about the tens of thousands of New Yorkers and rescue workers sickened by the toxic WTC dust :

“I spent as much time here as anyone…I was here five, six times a day for four months. I kind of thought of it as living here.”

According to Guiliani, he visited the WTC site close to 600 times.

Rescue workers I spoke to near Ground Zero in early October, 2001, said Guiliani was rarely seen on site, and only in the company of numerous news crews and photographers, or with world leaders like Vladimir Putin. The only time Guiliani took off his mask (to protect against the dust and fumes), a rescue worker told me, was when he was speaking on camera. The moment the interview ended, the mask went back on.

Between September 11 and September 17, Guiliani did visit the WTC wreckage pile, most famously accompanied by President Bush on September 14, but there are no official accounts of how many visits he actually made.

Considering the dozens of hours he clocked up giving NYC local, US national and international interviews in the days immediately after 9/11, and the fact that he was supposedly co-ordinating rescue and recovery efforts from the relocated emergency centre (the original was destroyed when WTC 7 was brought down), it would be generous to say that Guiliani visited the site 15 to 20 times between September 11 and September 17, 2001.

That figure, combined with the official visit count of 41, taken from Guiliani’s own meticulously kept records, makes for a grand total of some 60 visits, before Christmas 2001.

That’s about 560 visits less than the total Guiliani claimed in September 2006.

A spokesman for the International Society Of Firefighters said his members are sick to death of Guiliani’s grandstanding over his role in the rescue and recovery efforts following the World Trade Centre attacks and has urged the media to begin the “peeling Guiliani’s 9/11 onion.”

The New York Times appears to have begun that process. Let’s hope the rest of the American media follows suit and holds this serial liar to account.

7 Out Of 10 WTC Rescue Workers Suffer Lung Problems

How Guilani Made Millions Off 9/11 And His Five Biggest 9/11 Lies

………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Pentagon Paid $998,798 to Ship Two 19-Cent Washers (Update3)
By Tony Capaccio

Aug. 16 (Bloomberg) — A small South Carolina parts supplier collected about $20.5 million over six years from the Pentagon for fraudulent shipping costs, including $998,798 for sending two 19-cent washers to an Army base in Texas, U.S. officials said.

The company also billed and was paid $455,009 to ship three machine screws costing $1.31 each to Marines in Habbaniyah, Iraq, and $293,451 to ship an 89-cent split washer to Patrick Air Force Base in Cape Canaveral, Florida, Pentagon records show.

The owners of C&D Distributors in Lexington, South Carolina — twin sisters — exploited a flaw in an automated Defense Department purchasing system: bills for shipping to combat areas or U.S. bases that were labeled “priority” were usually paid automatically, said Cynthia Stroot, a Pentagon investigator.

C&D and two of its officials were barred in December from receiving federal contracts. Today, a federal judge in Columbia, South Carolina, accepted the guilty plea of the company and one sister, Charlene Corley, to one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and one count of conspiracy to launder money, Assistant U.S. Attorney Kevin McDonald said.

Corley, 46, was fined $750,000. She faces a maximum prison sentence of 20 years on each count and will be sentenced soon, McDonald said in a telephone interview from Columbia. Stroot said her sibling died last year.

Corley didn’t immediately return a phone message left on her answering machine at her office in Lexington. Her attorney, Gregory Harris, didn’t immediately return a phone call placed to his office in Columbia.

`Got More Aggressive’

C&D’s fraudulent billing started in 2000, Stroot, the Defense Criminal Investigative Service’s chief agent in Raleigh, North Carolina, said in an interview. “As time went on they got more aggressive in the amounts they put in.”

The price the military paid for each item shipped rarely reached $100 and totaled just $68,000 over the six years in contrast to the $20.5 million paid for shipping, she said.

“The majority, if not all of these parts, were going to high-priority, conflict areas — that’s why they got paid,” Stroot said. If the item was earmarked “priority,” destined for the military in Iraq, Afghanistan or certain other locations, “there was no oversight.”

Scheme Detected

The scheme unraveled in September after a purchasing agent noticed a bill for shipping two more 19-cent washers: $969,000. That order was rejected and a review turned up the $998,798 payment earlier that month for shipping two 19-cent washers to Fort Bliss, Texas, Stroot said.

The Pentagon’s Defense Logistics Agency orders millions of parts a year. “These shipping claims were processed automatically to streamline the re-supply of items to combat troops in Iraq and Afghanistan,” the Justice Department said in a press release announcing today’s verdict.

Stroot said the logistics agency and the Defense Finance and Accounting Service, which pays contractors, have made major changes, including thorough evaluations of the priciest shipping charges.

Dawn Dearden, a spokeswoman for the logistics agency, said finance and procurement officials immediately examined all billing records. Stroot said the review showed that fraudulent billing is “not a widespread problem.”

“C&D was a rogue contractor,” Stroot said. While other questionable billing has been uncovered, nothing came close to C&D’s, she said. The next-highest billing for questionable costs totaled $2 million, she said.

Stroot said the Pentagon hopes to recoup most of the $20.5 million by auctioning homes, beach property, jewelry and “high- end automobiles” that the sisters spent the money on.

“They took a lot of vacations,” she said.

Advertisements

%d bloggers like this: